Japan is a cluster of islands in the Eastern Hemisphere of the Earth, forming an archipelago. It is over 3000 kilometers long (1864 miles) and it has more than 6800 islands. It is known for its ancient history, culture and traditions. The capital city, Tokyo was later replaced with Neo-Tokyo in 2019. Its nickname is "The Land of the Rising Sun" comes from the literal meaning of the country's name Nihon (origin of the sun) and its remote geographic location as the most eastern Asian country where the sun rises.
Akira lore Edit
- Japan was one of the places known for experimenting on people with ESP.
- It was directly involved in three World Wars.
- Its capital city, Tokyo, was unintentionally largely destroyed by Akira (Character) using his psychic powers.
- Neo-Tokyo was built as the new capital on artificial islands in Tokyo Bay.
- Japan is the 4th largest island country in the world.
- The land size of Japan is bigger than Germany and similar to California. However, it is much more stretched out with many distant and remotely located islands that are thousands of kilometers from the big main islands.
- The main island Honshu is bigger than Great Britain.
- Japan has the 8th largest sea territory in the world (4.48 million km²) with an abundance of water.
- The main islands of Japan are Hokkaido, Honshu, Kyushu, Shikoku and Okinawa. There first four islands are the biggest and also called mainland Japan.
- About 60% of Japan has rugged and mountainous terrain. Thus there is a scarcity of flat livable land.
- Japan has reclaimed land from the sea with artificial islands, dykes etc since the 17th century.
- Tectonic plate activity and volcanic eruptions has created new land and islands in the archipelago. Some volcanic eruptions cause new islands to emerge from the sea to the surface. This gradually expands the size of Japan.
- Japan has one of the largest populations in the world.
- Tokyo is located a bit more south than Rome (the capital of Italy).
- The climate is very varied from Hokkaido's humid continental climate to sub-tropical in the Ryukyu islands and the Nanpo islands.